The Founding of Payo Obispo

In order to control the frontier with Belize, to prevent the illegal exploitation of precious woods and to avoid the supply of weapons to the Mayan rebels, in 1898 Porfirio Díaz's government sets up a customs house and a floating military post -- the Chetumal pontoon -- at the mouth of the Rio Hondo. Captain Othón P. Blanco is appointed to command the mission and on the 5th of May 1898 he founds, in the same place, on the bank of the river, the village of Payo Obispo. In 1936 the city changes its name to Chetumal.

Printed from chetumal.com (The Founding of Payo Obispo - Chetumal.com - Gateway to the Costa Maya, México)